Translate

Friday, June 1, 2012

Moving to Qatar


My husband, Trevor, and I just moved here to Doha, Qatar not too long ago.  Trevor got here in April and I joined him in May. We moved here from Colorado. We wanted to experience and learn about other cultures and living it seemed like the best way to do that. 
Trevor and I in Telluride Colorado

Colorado
So moving here can be a process. You need to have a job sponsor you to come to Qatar. Trevor came here first to establish his residency and then I was able to come on a tourist visa. It's a lot more complicated then  that but I'll get into that a little later. 

Colorado
In order to rent an apartment here in Qatar you have to have a bank account here. In order to have a bank account here you have to have a resident visa. So once you have these it becomes much easier to move forward, but these things take time and patience! 

About a month after Trevor got to Qatar he was finally able to get into our apartment (he'd been staying in a hotel)! He then went and bought furniture to fill the apartment (it was actually more affordable to buy furniture then to rent an apartment fully furnished!). We picked out furniture together through pictures since I was still in Colorado. 


While he was getting the apartment ready I was back in Colorado getting our cat and dog "ready" to move to Doha. That is another process I will explain at a later time.  We rented our house out in Colorado so I was also in the midst of moving out and and getting the house ready for it's new tenants (I did have the help of a moving company). I did all of this while I was working my last few days at my job as a nurse (last few days working in the US). We stored all of our things accept the basic essentials such as clothes and a few personal items, which I shipped to Trevor in several boxes. I actually got did get rid of a lot of things that we felt we didn't need/want anymore. You don't realize how much stuff you own until you try to move it all! This felt like a cleansing ritual in many ways. A clean slate if you will.

It was sad leaving the home we lived in for the last 6 years and saying goodbye to our friends. On April 1, before Trevor left Colorado, we had a going away party. It was bittersweet! Trevor left on April 2 to move to Qatar. I left Colorado May 16 with my dog, Sammie and my cat, Fiona.
Sammie my chihuahua
Fiona

 Fiona, Sammie and I made it with minimal tribulation and we are now here in Doha, Qatar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment